What do I do when someone dies

There are different circumstances surrounding people passing and we at Lambs Funeral Services are here to help. At any stage or time do not hesitate to call us for advice.

What you need to do often depends on the location of the person when they died, unless the death was sudden  (See Note*), in which case you should call the police.

If the death occurs at home

Call your doctors surgery, they will come to your home to issue a certificate of death, which will be required to register the death. It is often at this point the family will contact us to arrange for the deceased to be taken to our chapel of rest. This can be done at by calling us on 0191 5261846 day or night.

At a Nursing, Residential Home or Hospital

The facilities senior staff will have called the doctor to provide a certificate of death and you will be notified of where to collect the certificate. You can instruct us to take the deceased in to our care.

You can contact us – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Assuming the doctor has attended and issued a certificate of death we are able to take the deceased’s body into our care at our chapel of rest in Murton. We can then arrange a time that’s convenient for you either at your home or at our premises to discuss the funeral arrangements.

Arranging the funeral

At Lambs we pride ourselves on our ability to work with the family to provide as much or as little assistance as they require in making this difficult time run as smoothly as possible. If the deceased had arranged a pre paid funeral plan, then most of the decisions will already of been made. if this isn’t the case the deceased may have left instructions in their will. It is usual for the executor or nearest relative to make decisions about any arrangements.

Registering the death

Registering the death must be done by a member of the family and within 5 days of the death.

Our closest registry office is Seaham

Appointments must be pre-booked.
T. 03000 262501
E. seahamregisteroffice@durham.gov.uk
Contact Centre, Sophia Street ,
Seaham , County Durham, SR7 7JE.

Contact a solicitor

A solicitor can help by taking control of wills, problems of intestacy, any debts, grants and letters of administration.

Useful links

You can find out more about the funeral services we offer here.

*Note: In some occasions the doctor may not be able to issue a Medical Certificate of Death and will inform the Coroner, if the death was sudden, violent, as a result of an accident or industrial disease or whilst the deceased was undergoing medical procedure.